Friday, March 30, 2012

A BOOK REVIEW

The Emancipation of Robert Sadler

A Gritty, Raw Real-Life Tale That Will Both Shock and Inspire You

"So many thoughts twirl in my head...I want to think back as far as I can remember--think on things I had long ago buried and let stay buried. There were things I never told anyone. Now is the time to tell it, though. Help me remember it, Lord, so I can tell it just the way it was.


Over fifty years after the Emancipation Proclamation, Robert Sadler was sold into slavery at the age of five--by his own father. Originally published in 1975, this is the no-holds-barred tale of those dark days, his quest for freedom, and the determination to serve others borne out of his experience. You won't forget this poignant true story of good triumphing over evil, of God's grace, and of an extraordinary life of ministry."


I subscribe to a daily email from "Books on the Knob".  They have a mixture of books from Free to very low cost.  I happened on this particular book from this daily email.  It was Free.  As soon as I began reading this book, I was hooked.  It is a story of slavery, and as it said just above; this was 50 years after the end of slavery by law.  I remember seeing Roots on t.v. and it was raw and informative; showing us the way they brought black Africans on a ship to the United States and then selling the immigrants for slavery.  It is, in my opinion, a stain on the history of our country.  A wound so big; the scar tissue will never be gone.  


I'm recommending this book for all people to read this.  I personally am glad I found it.  I've always marveled at the solid faith in Christ that the African-Americans were able to hold onto.  Despite being made to feel like animals, they knew God was with them.  Perhaps this sounds to painful to read. I found it entertaining, very moving and so inspirational.  The character, Robert, had a deep faith that never left him for long.  Your local Library may well have a copy which you can check out!  Half.com is a good place to find used books too.  Just wanted to share this book with you ~



TILL NEXT TIME

2 comments:

  1. Signed up for Books on the Nob! See if I can get a free copy downloaded too : )
    Thanks sissy.
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. bought from Amazon .... $7 yahoooooey

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Please subscribe to follow my Blog.